Thursday, November 11, 2010

Drowning On Land

As a second-generation home schooler, I of all people should have been prepared to instruct my children at home. I grew up around other home schooling families, participated in educational co-ops, and witnessed my parents begin a registered ISP that grew from three original families into a multi-family organization that thrives to this day.

So why, at the beginning of the school year, did I feel as though I were drowning?

Being taught at home is, I've come to discover, a lot different from being the one doing the teaching. As a child, I was completely oblivious to the "behind the scenes" work my parents did, especially when it came to legal paperwork. In short, I didn't have a clue!

Making the decision to home school was easy for Jon and me, but putting it into practice has taken a bit of effort. Rather haphazardly, I've slowly pieced together what requirements are needed by which ages...at least, I think I have!

Something that has absolutely amazed me are my first-generation home schooling friends. Incredibly, they have things much more together than I do! It is through some of them that I first heard the idea of developing a home schooling philosophy.

A philosophy for home schooling? I didn't even know that this existed, let alone have one for our family! I don't know whether or not my parents had a philosophy for their educating efforts. It may be that this line of thinking became more popular in the years since I've graduated. Whatever the case, this was indeed something very new to me. (More to come in later posts.)

All of this to say, if you feel overwhelmed by the thought of home schooling, you are not alone. I've grown up with alternative education, but I still felt as though I were drowning - on land. I have a solid foundation below me, but the waters still rush high in my lack of understanding. If you relate to this, take heart. You can do it; so can I. Pray a lot about your decision; spend time researching; ask more seasoned home schooling parents for advice. Eventually, we'll all get there.

And, Lord willing, none of us will die in the process.

2 comments:

  1. I love your titles! I'm sure you're doing an excellent job. Like J said to me the other day, "There's 4 of them, and so far, they're all still alive--that's successful!" ;-) It definitely evens out as they get older. Kindergarten was super-hard for me. Each year gets better, though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindergarten is tough - it will be so much easier when they're reading independently! It's a blessing, though, too. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete